Saturday 20 June 2009

It's Father's Day Tomorrow!

Tomorrow, in this country, is officially designated “Father’s Day.” This has got me wondering about the origins of the event.

According to my research, Father's Day is a celebration inaugurated in the early twentieth century to complement Mother's Day in celebrating fatherhood and male parenting, and to honor and commemorate fathers and forefathers. Father's Day is celebrated on a variety of dates worldwide and usually involves gift-giving, special dinners to fathers, and family-oriented activities.




I wonder what my three daughters have got hatched for me?
I do know that our middle daughter, husband Greg and grand daughter Olivia are planning on taking myself & the missus out for a meal tonight. Our youngest daughter is in Jamaica at the moment, so I think I might have to wait for her recognition of Father’s Day! We will probably see our eldest daughter, her husband Garry and Mollie and Tom sometime tomorrow


I am led to believe that the origins of Father’s Day probably derive from a Sonora Smart Dodd of Washington, who whilst listening to a sermon on Mothers Day, decided to arrange a tribute for her own father on June 19th 1910. She was the first person to suggest an official Father‘s Day observance to honour all fathers.

Originally the idea was the target of much satire, parody and derision, and whilst Mother’s Day was met with enthusiasm, the idea of a Father’s Day was met with much laughter. Of course the Americans did little to help their cause when they also had such celebrations as “Professional Secretaries Day” and “National Clean Your Desk out Day!”

Fathers Day is celebrated at many different times by many different countries, but by far the most popular date is the third Sunday in June, which is the date selected by Canada, China, France, Hong Kong, Japan, Netherlands, South Africa, Switzerland, United Kingdom and United States of America to name but a few countries.


Just to round off thoughts of Father's Day, I found this delightful poem - from a Mother!


Fathers Day Poem From Wife to Husband

Of course, I'm not your child, but nevertheless
This card is sent to say
I played my part, I supplied the egg
Have a lovely Father's Day

PS to all those of you who are Dads - Happy Father's Day for tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Yes you will see us tomorrow, would you like to come for afternoon tea at the allotment????

    ReplyDelete