Tuesday 6 December 2011

...."In which I join the Academics"

It's a funny old world isn't it? I've played an organ for nigh on 52 years, and for most of that time nothing has particularly phased me.

Then I get a phone call from one of the vicars who helps us out at church (as we are vicarless at the moment.) It goes something like this......

"Hello Malcolm it's Barry here. Are you doing anything on Tuesday 6th December around tea time?" [Wow I wonder. Am I being invited to a tea party?] "Because if not I'd like you to play for the Graduation Ceremony for the Education Students of Bradford College at St Georges Hall!"

After ascertaining what it entailed - about 30 minutes music to entertain the assembled parents and friends, followed by some suitable music to be played whilst the stage party processes, and something similar at the end of the ceremony, I decided it would be a novel experience. The fact that Barry pointed out there would be some monetary reward had nothing whatsoever to do with me hastily responding "I'd be glad to do it Barry!"


St Georges Hall, Bradford


A few days later a very nice lady from Bradford college contacted me to ask what pieces of music I would be playing for the entry and exit of the stage party, and how tall I was, so that I could be kitted out in the necessary gown. Being part of the stage party (I didn't know about this!) it was expected that I would be garbed in the appropriate academic dress!

In also learnt that I would be on the stage, playing the organ. The thought of a full St Georges Hall with me in full view was just a little disconcerting. Then I learnt that the whole ceremony was being recorded and DVD's of the event would be available at a later date for those who had received a degree! No wonder they wanted me garbed appropriately!


 
Graduation Booklet


By now, just a little panic was beginning to set in. Playing an organ in a church, hidden away in some dusty corner is no problem,  but the thought of being on stage in front of all those people was just a little disconcerting.

I arrived in plenty of time, just to have a close look at the instrument and get used to playing it. After about 30 minutes I found myself thoroughly at home with the instrument, and by the time parents and friends were beginning to assemble I was starting to enjoy the experience. [It must be the showman in me!]

The whole event went very smoothly - no mistakes from me, and the length of music just right for the academic party to parade through the hall and take their seats.

All in all it was an interesting way to spend an evening!



No comments:

Post a Comment