Wednesday 14 April 2010

Retirement Party and Blubberhouses Church

An interesting 24 hours. Let’s wind the clock back to Tuesday 6.00 pm. That was the time I had to be at a certain hotel to join in the celebrations of a colleague who was retiring from TIC. She had no idea what was waiting for her when she entered with her husband, who was “taking her out for a meal with friends.”




Approximately 40 work colleagues had gathered. She was presented with various momentoes of her time at TIC. – Known for her ability to point any visitors in the dirction of the times and availability of any buses which operated within the area, she was first presented with a collection of bus timetables. This was followed by a presentation of a BABA form (Book A Bed Ahead to the uninitiated), then a small woolly sheep (which often featured largely in her window displays), an envelope containing £100 worth of Caravan Club Vouchers – (she and her husband are planning on doing an extended tour of France and Spain) and finally a huge bunch of flowers.




Sue, the manager, had asked me to recount a funny and slightly embarrasing story about her. It happened that one day there were four of us behind the counter inTIC and as the space is somewhat limited I was sitting in a chair with my back against the wall. A tourist came in who required a bus timetable, and these were kept in a plastic container which was affixed to the wall above my head. I had said to the retiree (who was quite small) I’ll move out of your way, but she said “No, It’s all right stay where you are, I can reach over you.” I leaned forward to make room for her to reach up for the timetable at the same moment as she leaned over me. Result – My nose buried in her bosom!



Wind forward to Wednesday. I had to take the Meriva up to Pateley Bridge as an Exhaust Emissions light had come on. It turned out to be nothing more serious than a failure of a sensor in the exhaust, but unfortunately the garage didn’t have one in, so I will have to make a return visit. Fortunately there is a 6 months warranty so it will not cost me anything!



On the way back to Skipton - It was my TIC Day - I passed Blubberhouses Church, which looked beautiful in the Spring sunshine, so I stopped to take a few photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment