Friday 2 April 2010

Gervaise Phinn

We went to Harrogate yesterday, and as is my habit, whilst the good lady does her shopping thing I usually browse all the charity shops. It is very rare I return without having made a purchase of a CD, Cassette, DVD or videotape. Yesterday was no exception.

Whilst I was in the Shelter shop my eyes lit on two story tapes written and read by Gervaise Phinn – the ex North Yorkshire Schools Inspector. Having been to his concert over the Christmas period the year before last, and also having read one of his books, the two double cassette story tapes were purchased for the princely sum of £1.00.





Gervaise has the knack of telling a wonderfully funny story about children without making fun of the children in his stories. Let me give you an example…..

A little girl from farming stock has been taken by her father into the barn to witness the birth of a calf. The vet is in attendance, and after having seen the whole process the vet turns to the little girl to ask her what she thought of the event. “Alright” was her reply,” but how did the cow swallow it in the first place?”

Next Friday evening I will be going to Gervaise Phinn’s “An Evening with” in St Georges Hall, and am looking forward to an entertaining evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment