Sunday 7 February 2010

An Entertaining Afternoon at the Electrical Superstore

The all new Dyson DC 25 Animal - the ultimate in household floor cleaning etc!



We paid a visit to a Comet Electrical Superstore on Saturday afternoon as it had been decided that we needed a new vac.

I don’t know if you have ever experienced the delights of a salesman who tries to sell you something he knows absolutely nothing about, but to say the least it is entertaining. We got a young gentleman, who opened the conversation up by saying “I don’t usually work in this section”, which filled me with great hopes of an entertaining afternoon.

I was not disappointed.

If I am going to make a purchase at a superstore, I always do my home work first, and in the case of a new vacuum cleaner that meant comparing such things as the motor power (in watts), air power (the actual suction – in watts), Hosepipe length, mains cord length, dust container capacity, has it a turbo pet hair type brush, does it have HEPA filtration (an anti allergy system)? - does it have floor head adjustments for carpets/parquet floor? What weight is it? – Is a guarantee included – for how long- in other words all the things a salesman ought to know about the product he is trying to sell you.

My first question – what is the suction power in watts – caused a glazed look to come over his face, then he went over to the counter computer and assured me that he would be able to tell me the answer to my question. I followed him over to the computer, and watched and waited. His eyes lit up with a gleam and he proudly announced that it was 2,300 watts!

It was at this point that I had to disillusion him and told him that if the suction power was 2,300 watts the machine would in all probability rip the carpet from the floor and probably rip the floor from the joists. What he had actually given me was the power of the motor!

After suggesting various Hoover models to us, I told him that we had a Dyson, but that we had found it fairly heavy to carry upstairs. What was the weight of the Hoover? Again it was a trip to the computer, and within seconds he proudly announced that it was only 606 kg. Once again I had to disillusion him and point out that the heaviest vacuum on display was only 8.9 kg – maybe there was a misprint. On looking at the screen myself I saw that the actual weight was given as 6.06 kg.

Still smiling (probably between gritted teeth) he continued to try his best to sell us a vacuum cleaner. Eventually he settled on what was know as a lightweight Dyson (only 5.4 kg) but when I asked what the suction power was it turned out to be almost a half the power of all the other vacuum cleaners! In other words light weight in weight and light weight in suction!

Let’s give him another chance I thought. After all he has been very pleasant all the way through. So I suggested he may like to show us a Dyson which had a turbo attachment (as we have a dog which sheds hair from time to time). He introduced us to a DC25 Animal – one of the new generation of Dyson machines which works on a ball system, not wheels, so in effect a simple twist of the wrist can immediately alter the direction of the machine. He even demonstrated it to us on the shop floor, and let us play with it too!

That was the clincher.

We are now the proud owners of a brand spanking new Dyson DC25 Animal.

Come on, get a move on Ruby, we are waiting with baited breath to see how it will pick up your hairs, when you next start shedding your coat!

No comments:

Post a Comment