Friday 19 February 2010

A Day Out in Settle & Austwick

This morning started quite dramatically. I woke at about 7.30 am and when I got out of bed I found I was in agony! The lower part of my back was giving me hell when I moved between a sitting position and a standing position. After struggling downstairs and having breakfast I was no better, and was persuaded to take a dichlophenic, which the nurse of the house reassured me would take the pain away. Two hours later it was not really any better.

We had planned to take the two grand-daughters out to Settle and Austwick for the day, and as we usually call in Ye Old Naked Man Café I had visions of me lurching between sitting and standing (a bit like the Hunchback of Notre Dame), however after having my back rubbed with some Ibuprofin things did seem to ease a little. (I hasten to add that this did not occur in Ye Old Naked Man Cafe, and I am not Ye Old Naked Man!)

We collected the grand-daughters and headed towards Settle, passsing what I can only describe as lots of steaming fields on the way. First there was low cloud, and then later the fields looked as though they were steaming. Another quite dramatic event!

We arrived at Settle, and whist Dot and the girls headed to Ye Old Naked Man to get a table I called in Nat West to do a bank raid. When I got inside the café who should be there but one of Rachel’s friends from some years back (Jane Brearley and her daughter Felicity.) We were welcomed like long lost buddies, and caught up on the latest news.



Ye Old Naked Man Cafe

After Coffee, Milk Shakes and Chocolate Drinks and a pastry, the girls went one direction and I went the other, heading for the charity shops, where I purchased a double Video Cassette of the G K Chesterton Father Brown Stories, a double cassette of the Linde Consort playing the Bach Brandenberg Concertos, a triple cassette called Golden Overtures and another triple cassette of Handel’s Messiah and a CD Classical Piano Chillout all for the princely sum of £3.80!

We then headed on to Austwick, and had a very late lunch (2.30 pm) in the Gamecock Inn. The owner and resident chef is a Frenchman, and he produces some excellent and very tasty meals, all reasonably priced too.

The Game Cock Inn - Austwick

The Bar - our table (with menus on it)


We all started with a main course. I chose the Guinness and Steak pie, Dot had a vegetarian dish and Mollie had Pizza and Olivia had fajitas. The girls decided they would like a sweet too. These were beautifully presented, and ample – so two sweets were ordered and two extra spoons!



Superbly presented & deliciously tasty sweets

Mollie & Olivia waiting to start their sweets

No comments:

Post a Comment