Sunday 31 January 2010

North Somerset Council - Is Common Sense Prevailing?


Those of you who regularly read my blog, may recall that on December 21st (last year) I wrote a piece entitled "Goodwill to all Men, but not a Certain Maths Teacher." In it I recounted the sad tale of Olive Jones who had been suspended for offering to pray for a sick pupil.

The good news is that after a case review, council bosses have agreed that she can return as a supply maths teacher.

Mrs Jones job was with North Somerset Tuition Service in Nailsea in Bristol. North Somerset Council agreed that it could be appropriate for a teacher to share his or her faith, but a spokeman added, "A careful judgement has to be made."

Whilst on the face of it this seems good news, I would question why on earth there needed to be a suspension, and case review in the first place. Are we, or are we not, a Christian Country? If I wish to speak about my faith to a pupil, and offer what I feel could be help why should I have to make a careful judgement first? Is this country no longer a free country. What has happened to free speech?


An interesting little aside: Only this morning a headteacher colleague asked me to pray for an ex member of her staff who is recovering from an operation for cancer. Should I make a careful judgement before I agree to the request?

No comments:

Post a Comment