Saturday 7 November 2009

Some Favourite Cassettes

Having had a very brief look through a few of the LP’s I have, I now turn my attention to the audio cassettes. It’s amazing, over the years just how many I have collected.

To date there are 891 cassettes listed on my catalogue. Over the years I know that I have disposed of over 200 cassettes that I have got tired of, so at some point in time I had over 1,000 cassettes. To be able to track down a particular cassette, or even a particular song or piece of music, I have these catalogued on my computer.

The cassettes are catalogued under Title, Category, Location, Featured Artist, Playing Time, Composer, Label, and individual track titles. Usually well within a minute I can track down any particular song or piece of music and exactly where the cassette is located.

I remember when I first got a computer, the man who built it for me asked me what I would be using it for, and one of the things I said was to catalogue all my LP’s, Cassettes, CD’s DVD’s, and Video Tapes. He offered me a piece of advice, which was, the more detail you log on to your catalogue, the easier it for you to find what you are looking for.

Initially I found logging all these details something of a bind, but his advice has paid off a thousand times over! Just imagine if I was trying to locate a certain song, and had 891 individual cassettes to search through manually…………

I have applied the same detailed technique when logging on a video film or DVD film. These are listed under Title, Category, Sub Category, Year Released, Rating, Halliwell Star Rating, DVD Number, Programme Length, Comments, Star 1, Star 2, Star 3, Star 4, Producer, Director, Screenplay by, and Music by. Once again, in less than a minute I can find a DVD or Video Tape, and at present I have 1,079 films on either VHS Tape or DVD!

But back to the Audio Cassettes-

Looking down the categories I see that I have Film Soundtrack, Musical, Rock Classics, Traditional Jazz, Light Instrumental Solo Instruments, Light Instrumental Orchestral, Barbershop, Male Voice Choir, Kings Singers, Moog Synthesiser, Classics with a Beat, Country, Folk, Female Vocal, Male Vocal, Group, Scottish, Religious – Sacred, Classical Choral, Christmas Carols, Classical (Individual Artists), Classical, Baroque, Brass Band, Northumberland, Comedy, Organ, Opera, and Ballet.

You’ll see from the above categories that I have quite a wide taste in music, so let’s take a more detailed look at just a few of my favourites:

Under Traditional Jazz my favourites are:

Kenny Ball, (Midnight in Moscow, Hello Dolly, When the Saints go Marching In, So Do I, Acapulco 1922, Sukiyaki and Rondo),






Chris Barber (Petite Fleur, Bill Bailey Won’t you Please come Home)




Acker Bilk (South Rampart Street Parade, What a Wonderful World




Light Instrumental: James Last (American Patrol, Tico Tico, La Paloma, Delicado, Cherry Pink & Apple Blossom, La Bamba, Mexican at Dance)





Bert Kaempfert (Red Roses for a Blue Lady, Three o’Clock in the Morning, A Swingin’ Safari, Danke Schoen)




Bert Kaempfert




Religious – Scared
John Rutter (Gloria, A Gaelic Blessing, The Lord Bless You and Keep You)






John Rutter

No comments:

Post a Comment