Saturday 20 March 2010

How Stean Yet Again!

I went up to Pateley Bridge on Friday afternoon and called in at the Help the Aged Shop to donate them 38 LP’s, some CD’s, DVD’s and Audio Cassettes too.



I also called in to Nidderdale Motors to take in the necessary paperwork to swap my personlised plates from the present Zafira to the new Meriva. Personalised plates sounds rather “posh” and I always used to say that people who had personalised plates were “show offs”, and if I wanted some I only had have my car registered in Oban. However, when I retired I was “hoisted with my own petard” and presented with a set of personalised number plates as one of my leaving gifts!


As I had not had any dinner I went up to How Stean Gorge Café for something to eat. How Stean Gorge has been described (very aptly) as little Switzerland, and is well worth a visit. The gorge itself is spectacular, particularly after heavy rainfall!




As we pulled into the car park Ruby (our labrador) spotted a spaniel and as soon as I opened the back of the car up she was out and chasing merrily with the spaniel. At first mine host (Stan) didn’t recognise me – he was busy throwing a stick for the spaniel to chase, and Ruby was excitedly joining in the fun and games.


How Stean Cafe from the Car Park - the bridge is over the Gorge


Stan (mine host) seated far side of the table, outside the cafe.

Eventually, after we went into the café he recognised me, and persuaded me to tickle the ivories on the Yamaha Claviolina. By the time I had played a Bach Prelude & Fugue, Trumpet Voluntary, Country Gardens and Jesu Joy of Man’s Desiring, my meal was ready! I took the option of the tasty cheeseburger and chips. He very kindly threw in a free drink (non alcoholic – as I was driving!) with my meal.

A warm, friendly and welcoming greeting awaits you.
Notice the Claviolina to the right!

Stan tells me he has found my blog site, so I had better be careful what I say! I did promise him at least one photo of How Stean Café on my blog!






No comments:

Post a Comment