Wednesday 9 December 2009

It's at Times Like This That the Christmas Spirit Disappears



Today was a bit of a change from the pre Christmas celebrations. I spent the day doing my voluntary work at the Tourist Information Centre.

During the course of the morning a couple came in to the shop to ask if we could help them. They had inserted the correct amount of money into the parking ticket machine to obtain four hours parking, but the machine was not feeling in the least in the Christmas spirit and issued them with a ticket for just under two hours. They were concerned that the warden would ticket them.





I explained to them that we could circumvent the problem, and phoned the nice gentleman in the town hall who deals with problem parking meters, and explained to him what had happened. “Don’t worry!” he said, “just give me the make and registration number of the car and I will inform the warden not to ticket them”. I duly supplied him with this information and after coming off the phone assured the couple that they could enjoy their stay and be free from any worries about receiving a parking ticket.

Some four hours later the gentleman appeared in the Tourist Information Centre with a parking ticket in his hand! His main concern was that he had never broken the law or ever received any tickets during his years of motoring. I once again phoned the man at the Town Hall and told him what had happened. Once again he asked me for the details of the car, and assured me that he had informed the car park attendant not to ticket the car. He asked me to tell the driver concerned not to worry as he would deal with the problem.






I once again reassured the driver that the nice man in the Town Hall would deal with the problem, but suggested he kept the parking ticket and note (should any further problems arise), and away he went.

All this makes me wonder why I needed to supply the car make and registration again to the nice man in the Town Hall, as I had already supplied him with the details four hours previously. Had he actually notified the parking warden, or was it that the parking warden a) had no memory, or b) could not read the registration plate of the car or c) was it that he wouldn’t get his Christmas bonus unless he issued a certain number of tickets?

No comments:

Post a Comment