Wednesday 29 August 2012

A Trip Out to Settle and Austwick

A week or so ago, Rachel phoned us and asked if we could have Mollie and Tom on Tuesday as she and Gary had to attend a funeral.

Those of you who know us well will know that whenever we have Mollie and Tom, if the weather is fine, we usually take them to Settle, and have a "Full Monty" - a chocolate drink topped with cream, a Cadbury chocolate flake and various other decorations.

You can see by Tom's expression what he thinks of it!!



Instead of pulling faces, Mollie just got on with enjoying her "Full Monty"



Mollie, Tom and Nan spent some time exploring the market, whilst I took a few photos of Settle on Market Day.




Market Day in Settle


The Market Stalls from the window of "The Naked Man Cafe" - Mollie and Tom were enjoying their Full Monty at this time!

Whilst I left Mollie, Tom and Nan to explore some of the shops and market stalls, I had a wander round Settle, and came across this Morris Minor parked at the back of the old Town Hall.






It was in pristine condition and looked as if it had just come out of the showroom. It was a bit of pure nostalgia, as my Dad used to run Morris Minors for many years, so I couldn't resist taking the odd photo or two.


I had a quiet chuckle at the security arrangement on the car. They were built long before car alarms and engine immobilisers were standard fitments, but the owner certainly had no intention of loosing his prize possession!




Note the huge chain fastened to the steering wheel!




After exploring Settle market (it happened to be Market Day) we then drove up to Austwick, where Mollie, Tom and Ruby had a great time splashing about in the local stream.

I took the opportunity to do a bit of photography in and around Austwick itself.



 The Village Green


Pretty stone built cottages near the village green


The Village Post Office and Stores



 Close up of the village store


Flower basket outside the Village Store


On previous blogs I will have mentioned the Game Cock - the village pub, where we always stop for a meal. I have also mentioned the quirkiness of the Gents Loos. As I had my camera in my pocket I just happened to take a couple of shots! (How kinky, I hear you say!)


 This sign is on the inside of the toilet door. I haven't worked out how you are supposed to escape!


 It's not every Gents that has a car radiator front mounted on the wall!



Closer inspection reveals it is the radiator from a Wolsley Hornet. (The Badge is missing) I wonder if you remember the Wolsley Hornet. It had a stable mate in the Riley Elf (both were basically different badged Mini's.)





This is where you are always guaranteed a first rate, well cooked, value for money, well presented meal!



No comments:

Post a Comment