Tuesday 15 May 2012

A Mixed Bag This Week!

The previous week has been a bit of a mixed bag. Last Monday (7th) was the Early Spring Bank Holiday, so the Male Voice choir had an "evening off."

During the previous week we had been told that one of our ex next door neighbour's husband had died, and his funeral was taking place on the Tuesday.

We also learnt that one of our previous Doctors had died, and we attended her funeral, as she had become a family friend. We met up with one of Dot's nursing colleagues and her husband, who was head of the practice some years ago.

On Thursday I had another talk booked on My Kind of Music - Classical Music used in Advertising which I gave to the local Bingley Inner Wheel. I had mentioned a couple of the pieces of music and adverts that were used in my last week's blog, so let me jog your memory and see if you recall the music used in "I'm a Cadbury's Fruit and Nut Case" - of course it's that tune from the Tchaikovsky Nutcracker Suite.Did you know that Frank Muir did the voice over, and he concluded the advert with "We make these up as we go along you know!" 

Who can forget the music which featured in the Hovis Advert, where a young boy pushes a bicycle, complete with a front pannier up a steep cobble stoned hill? [It's supposed to be in Yorkshire, but it was filmed at Gold Hill, Shaftsbury, Dorset, and featured a Brass Band] I wonder if you remember the baker in the advert. It was the actor Bill Maynard.

Now what about Walls Ice Cream, and in particular "Just one Cornetto, Give it to me. Delicious Ice Cream from Italee!" The music used in this advert was an Italian Neapolitan Love Song called O Sole Mio, but you may remember it better as the song that Elvis Presley sang - It's Now or Never - which just proves you can't keep a good melody down!

On Friday I had to play for a funeral at St Lawrence Pudsey, and on Saturday I had to play for a wedding at my "Home Church" - Bingley All Saints.

Apart from the usual Sunday Morning Service, I had to play for an evening service which was to launch Christian Aid Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment