Sunday 6 May 2012

Another Fun Filled Week

As I said last week, "Glancing ahead on my calendar I see that it looks to be another busy week!" I wasn't mistaken.

On Monday afternoon I had a visit from our new vicar and we spent a couple of hours sorting all the hymns out for the Sunday Services in May, and two mid week Eucharist services as well. [Ascension Day and Corpus Christi]

I followed this up with a practice for my Male Voice Choir in the evening, and as we had not changed the music in our folders for some time, I decided that we would remove all the copies from our folders, replace them in the music library and then each member could choose a favourite song which we would look at over the next few weeks.


Tuesday morning I was down at church to play for a Toddler's Praise service (which are held once a month) and I usually have to prepare the music (ie write it out) for these services as there are no copies of printed music for the songs the Toddlers Sing. Fortunately the music usually consists of nursery rhyme tunes to simple religious ditties.

Tuesday evening I was back at church taking a choir practice (they are usually on Thursday evenings, but some forgetful soul had arranged a concert in church on the Thursday evening!) Se rehearsed the hymns for the next three weeks and the hymns and music for Ascension Day, which I will not be able to play for. Long before a new vicar appeared on the horizon I had arranged to talk to a Ladies Groups at the Grove Church in Horsforth, so I have had to find someone to play the service for me. Luckily  for me the accompanist at the male voice choir is also an organist who doesn't have a regular commitment so he can play the service for me! 

Wednesday I had to take the car in to the local Vauxhall garage for a change of brake pads, and as they had no courtesy car available I thought I was going to have to wait for it, but luckily the manager got me a lift home and had me collected when my car was ready!

Thursday afternoon I was out talking about classical music used in advertising, to a retired group in the nearby village of Wilsden. Remember the Esso advert "Esso Sign means Happy motoring, Esso Sign Happy motoring" sung to the tune of the Toreadors Song from Carmen, or Walls Cornetto, sung to the Italian Neapolitan Love Song "O Sole Mio"? - You can't keep a good tune down - Elvis Presley recorded it as "It's Now or Never!" 


Friday I was at Rudding Park in Harrogate playing for a wedding in the estate chapel.


 Rudding Park Chapel


Rudding Park Hotel on the left and the chapel on the right


On Saturday Dot had arranged to take Mollie to Harrogate. (Mollie had had a birthday a few days previously and was wanting to visit Harrogate to spend some of her birthday money!) So I took the two of them to Bingley station, and collected them from the 6.20 pm train, when they returned to Bingley station. Dot and I were going to a concert at Bingley Parish Church at 7.00 pm, which was in aid of he Children's Society, so it was a bit of a rush!



A local junior school choir, a brass quartet and the Bingley St Clare Singers took part, and the concert proved to be very enjoyable.

With Bank Holiday Monday next week things should be a bit quieter!

No comments:

Post a Comment