Thursday 18 August 2011

The film Vera Drake

I was up at Skipton yesterday, doing my stint at TIC. We moved into the town hall about a couple of months ago. Each Wednesday as I walk through the town hall to the TIC office I pass through a flea market, where there are books, cards, jewellery, paintings cd's, dvd's and a host of goodies on sale.

So far I have resisted the urge to purchase anything, but yesterday my eyes caught sight of the dvd "Vera Drake", which was a film made in 2004, directed by Mike Leigh, who began his working career as a theatre director and moved between that and producing kitchen sink dramas for BBC TV.

Mike Leigh was responsible for helping to create many British stars through the films he directed, which they were in -  Liz Smith in Hard Labour, Alison Steadman in Abigail's Party, Brenda Blethyn in Grown-Ups, Antony Sher in Goose-Pimples, Gary Oldman and Tim Roth in Meantime, Jane Horrocks in Life is Sweet, David Thewlis in Naked –  Sheila Kelley, Paul Jesson, Phil Daniels, Lindsay Duncan, Lesley Sharp, Kathy Burke, Stephen Rea, Eric Richard, and Julie Walters to mention but a few!

I had decided in 2004 that I would get hold of a copy of Vera Drake, but was not prepared to pay full price for it, so I waited until I saw it at a reduced rate!


Vera Drake 


Vera Drake is a selfless woman who is completely devoted to, and loved by, her working class family. She spends her days doting on them and caring for her sick neighbour and elderly mother. However, she also secretly visits women and helps them induce miscarriages for unwanted pregnancies [making no money for her services]. While the practice itself was illegal in 1950s England, Vera sees herself as simply helping women in need, and always does so with a smile and kind words of encouragement. When the authorities finally find her out, Vera's world and family life rapidly unravel.

A gritty film which pulls no punches, does not moralise or come down on one side or the other, but leaves the viewer to decide for him/herself on the rights or wrongs of her acts. It has a very authentic 1950's feel to it, and whilst I would not class it as "entertainment" I would most definately suggest you take a look at it. It gives plenty of food for thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment