Tuesday 15 September 2009

Chaos Reigns Supreme!!

I don’t know if you have the problems we have in our household, but whenever we decide to go on holiday, the week prior to us going suddenly seems to need at least 36 hours everyday for you to do all the things you need to do before you go away!

I usually plan out all the essential things that need to be done, like cancelling the papers and the milk, ensuring camera and mobile phone batteries are all fully charged, checking that all travel documents and sailing tickets are in order and informing neighbours of our contact numbers in case of an emergency.

Then there are those essential for the car – check water level, oil level, tyre pressures and fill the tank up with petrol

There is the need to pack for a fortnight – very problematical if you are a female so I understand – should I take this sweater or that one, will this co ordinate with that?, but not much of a problem for me – I just take sufficient shirts, sweaters shoes, socks etc and fill a case with them! It’s not only for the humans that we need to pack, but also for Ruby (the dog) – she might be smart, but she hasn’t yet learnt to pack her own case!

As we go self catering we also need some food for the first day or so because we arrive Saturday after the shops have shut.

So all this has been taken care of and then suddenly, out of the blue people decide to die and I am required to play for their funeral services! – Two so far this week before we go on holiday.

Our youngest daughter is in the process of moving house – Dad can you give us a hand with transporting the furniture from the old place to the new one? Can you take the old settee and chairs to the tip (they don’t exactly fit into a two seater Smart Car!) Could you be down at the house when the gas/electricity man comes?

Dad can you be my Flu Friend and collect some Tammiflu tablets from Keighley Baths? (This is our middle daughter who has just gone down with what she suspects is the latest Swine Flu.) So I hare off to Keighley, only to be told that they are not distributed until after 12.00. I return at 12.00 to be told by another person that they open at 1.00 pm. I have a wedding to play for back in Bingley at 2.00 pm – do I hang on until 1.00 pm or go back and play the wedding and make a third trip to Keighley?

Our eldest daughter phoned me up last night - Dad can you play the piano for the new children tomorrow morning?


36 hours a day - lets make it 48 just in case........

I suppose I should say thank goodness we’ve only three daughters!!!

Roll on Saturday when we are on Holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment