Thursday 6 October 2011

Holiday Retrospective - A Diversion via Charity Shops & Barter Books

During the times we have visited Arran, Peebles, Kelso, Berwick upon Tweed, Wooler and Alnwick I have visited the various charity shops which are situated in these places. I have often been able to purchase CD's DVD's and Books which I have wanted for sometime, at greatly reduced prices.

For the last four or five years, some weeks prior to our departure for our holidays, it has been suggested to me, in fairly definite terms, that it was time I sorted out, and got rid of some of the cassettes, CD's, DVD's and books which I had accumulated over the preceding year.

A search and selection of cassettes, CD's, DVD's and Books which I really didn't need to keep were packed into cardboard boxes, and these were taken with us and donated to the ARCAS Charity Shop (Arran Cancer Support) in Brodick. However, having been in the shop I was always tempted to buy other CD's DVD's and Books!

The usual high street charity shops have been supported - Chest Heart & Stroke, Sense, Help the Aged, British Heart Foundation, Sue Ryder, R.S.P.C.A. and Oxfam, but there are one ore two which I will single out and mention due to their quirkiness, or for other factors. 

In Berwick upon Tweed is a charity shop called B.A.R.K (guess what - it supports dogs as well as other animals!] Berwick Animal Rescue Kennels to give it its correct full title. The shop assistants are a motley crew of animal lovers and the shop contains all manner of cast offs and throw aways, as well as lots of CD's DVD's etc.

Kelso has a charity shop which has stickers on its goods with the letters C.B.A.H. [come on - I'm sure if you think hard enough you can work out what they stand for - answer at the end of the blog if you don't work it out!]. This establishment appears to be run by two or three elderly Scots ladies and sells some excellent classical CD's at 50p each plus all manner of intriguing goods!

In Kelso & Berwick upon Tweed you will find the British Heart Foundation Shops which always have an excellent selection of good quality classical CD's and DVD's.

I mustn't forget to mention another shop, which is not a charity shop, but is well worth a visit, and this is Barter Books in Alnwick. Barter books advertises itself as "one of the largest  second hand bookshops in Britain"

In 1991 Mary Manley decided to open a second hand bookshop, based on the swap system, called Barter Books. Her husband, Stuart, suggested that she open the shop in the front room of what was then his manufacturing plant, located in the old Alnwick Railway Station. From that time a joint partnership was formed which has grown into what is probably the largest second hand bookshop in Britain!

Here a few photos I took of the establishment:


 The writers mural was commissioned by the owners of Barter Books and painted by Peter Dodd.

 A model railway runs around the top of the bookcases in the first part of the shop.

.
 There are usually two or three different trains running on the layout!


In 2009 Stuart Manley discovered a rare original of the long forgotten World War II poster in a box of books which had been sold at auction. His wife Mary had it framed and put up in the shop, where its uncluttered graphic design and compelling slogan made it an instant hit. A year later the shop began selling facsimile copies, which were soon copied (and parodied!) in their millions. The poster has now become one of the iconic images of the 21st century.

The main part of the bookshop.

Last year I brought up two box fulls of books and was "given" £54.00 to spend in the shop. After making some purchases last year and some more this year I now have 80p left to spend!

So what did I finish up with from the Charity shops & Barter Books?

Without listing the items individually, I came home with  37 music CD's, 12 DVD's 8 Story CD's and 6 books.

I have a shrewd suspicion that not too long before next years holidays someone in our house will be suggesting that I go through my collections of books, CD's DVD'S and story CD's to take up to some of the above mentioned charity shops!


By the way C.B.A.H stands for Charity Begins At Home!

3 comments:

  1. my thought was Cant be arsed haggling!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know where you've got the idea that I haggle for my bargains from! There was no haggling in either Barter Books or any of the charity shops!

    ReplyDelete