Tuesday 13 September 2011

Why can't Life be Straighforward?

Some weeks seem to degenerate into chaos. This week has been a perfect example.

I had purposefully tried to keep the week as free as possible, so that the necessary preparations could be done before we go away on holiday.

Car - check tyre pressures, oil level, water in radiator, water in screen washer etc.

Clean car inside and out.

Pack suitcases (and assorted goods to donate to ARCAS Arran Charity Shop.)

Mow Lawns - (so they are not like a jungle when we get back!)

Cancel Papers and Milk.

Purchase food for self catering, and dog food for Ruby.

Put some money on my mobile phone.

Charge batteries on camera, camcorder and mobile phone.

Sort out timer switches and set for lighting during the evening. etc. etc. etc.

Leave keys with neighbours

Then, as they say, the best made plans of mice and men..............

So let's go back to last Sunday morning.

I turned the organ on and hey presto I had instant bagpipe sounds! Notes were playing all on their own as if by magic! Fortunately this was only on one of the rows of keys so I could manage to play for the service on the other two rows of keys, in a sort of limited fashion. The was another problem though.  I have a wedding to play for on Friday at 12.00 noon, and then, lo and behold. I opened the weekly news sheet to discover that the Bradford and District Association of Organists had decided to have their Annual Recital at All Saints on the day following the wedding!

Frantic phone calls to the organ tuner. Reply "I'm up to my neck in work dismantling an organ in Sheffield. The only time I could come would be one evening, and the state of the organ I can't promise anything." Frantic phone call to the Organists Association to tell them of the state of the organ and a promise to get back in touch after the wedding I will (hopefully) be playing for on the organ on Friday.

My deputy is playing the following two Sunday services So a quick phone call to him to alert him of the possibility that he might be playing on the electric piano! - and a promise to get back in touch with him after the wedding I will (hopefully) be playing for on the organ on Friday.


Phone call - can you play for a funeral at Nab Wood on Monday?
 
Another phone call- can you play for a funeral at Nab Wood on Wednesday?
 
Another phone call- can you play for a funeral at Nab Wood on Thursday morning?
 
Another phone call - "I'm the vicar of St Margaret's Frizinghall, I got your number from Rev Stuart Hacking. Can you play for a funeral on Thursday afternoon?"
 
Oh! and did I tell you I am playing for a wedding on Friday at 12.00 noon (assuming the organ has been fixed!)
 
Roll on Saturday when I will be away from it all for a week or two. at least that is if the CalMc Ferries are running!
 
Just to cap it all I have been on their website, and the Ardrossan - Brodick ferry was cancelled for all the sailings yesterday due to the high winds, and today two further sailings were cancelled. I don't fancy having to row, or swim across!

No comments:

Post a Comment