Tuesday 13 October 2009

Holidays, What Holidays?

I had hoped that things would have calmed down a little after having spent a most relaxing fortnight on holiday, but it seems that my hopes are not to be fulfilled.

Let me fill you in on the events since we returned home.....

As usual, after a fortnight's holiday there is usually a huge pile of clothing requiring washing. Having arrived home on Saturday evening, my wife decided to leave the start of the washing until Sunday morning (whilst I was at church playing the organ for the morning service). When I arrived home from church I was greeted by a rather perplexed wife, who informed me that the washing maching was "Refusing to spin."

It being Sunday there was no way I was going to be successful in getting a service engineer to attend! So first thing Monday morning I was on the phone to the washer insurance company requesting a service engineer, but all I managed to get was a "Press one if you require...." "Press two if you want...." The fourth option was the one I needed, but I then had to give the insurance policy number, the make of the washer, the model number, and the postcode of our address. Then a pleasant recorded voice informed me that "I am now putting you through to the required number." After two rings, and a lengthy purring the phone went dead. Three more attempts through all the preceding rigmarole achieved just the same results!

On my next attempt I did manage to raise a human being (as opposed to a recorded voice), and once again I had to give all the information I had now given four times (at least I was word perfect by this time!) and eventually I spoke to a lady who could tell me that a service engineer would be with me on Tuesday, but couldn't specify if it would be morning or afternoon! So I then had to cancel my playing the piano for the Nursery children at the local Primary School.

At least, true to the information I had been given, a service engineer did arrive on Tuesday and a new motor had to be fitted. Now the washing could commence!

I should have been doing my voluntary work at Tourist Information on Wednesday, but I was told on Sunday that my services were required to play for a large funeral on Wednesday afternoon. When I arrived at Church all the parking spaces were coned off. It was the funeral of a local Police Constable and it looked as if all the West Yorkshire force was in attendance. There was a guard of honour three deep, and six policemen carried the coffin into church.

My Thursday choir practice didn't take place due to the hymns not arriving until too late for the practice!

Friday we had to do a big shop for my mum in law, and we took her for a little run out to Bolton Abbey to see the colours of the autumnal trees.

Saturday morning I had a Wedding Preparation Day to attend, where I spoke to the couples intending to get married about the choice of music for their wedding, the choice of hymns etc.

Then it was round to Sunday again (where did the week go?) and playing for services again.

Monday evening I had a practice with my Male Voice Choir - we have a combined concert with a Ladies Choir coming up on Saturday 31st October, as well as two Christmas concerts - so I also had to make a start on the music for our Christmas programmes.

Yesterday (Tuesday) I was playing for a Toddler's Praise Service, which is normally held in church, but due to decorators working in the church I had to play for the Toddlers in the church hall. It wasn't the easiest of things to do when the children are in one room and I am sat at the piano in an adjoining room!! This was followed by two sessions playing for the Nursery children at a local Primary School. For the second session we finished up in the library as the hall was in use for an assembly. At least there was a piano in the library!! This was followed by a visit to Ikea to pick up a set of drawers for our youngest daughter.

I suppose next week can only get better (or am I tempting fate?)

Now when are the next holidays???

No comments:

Post a Comment